Public Works




Recreational Trails

Community Centres


Swimming Program

Parks and Recreation


District of Muskoka Garbage Collection Information

Waste Management 

District of Muskoka Water and Sewer Information

Port Carling Locks and Port Sandfield Swing Bridge

Road Standards Manual

Cemetery Regulations

Asset Management Plan 




The Public Works Department is responsible for the management of Municipal infrastructure and assets including Township roads, sidewalks, bridges, drainage systems, parks, cemeteries, buildings, fleet, signage and streetlights. 

The District of Muskoka is responsible for Garbage and Recycling Collection, Land Transfer Stations, Municipal Water and Sewer matters as well as the operation of the Port Carling Locks and Port Sandfield Swing Bridge.



Entrance Permit Requirements:

An entranceway permit giving access to lands abutting a highway must be obtained prior to the issuance of a building permit relating to those lands.  The location of the entranceway must be approved by the Director of Public Works or staff acting on his behalf to ensure traffic safety, and the free flow of traffic, and ease of maintenance . A $500 performance bond must be submitted by the applicant when applying for an entrance permit, a refund of $200.00 will be returned to the applicant when the entranceway installed has been approved and accepted by the municipality.  $300.00 will be retained by the municipality as a permit fee. Please visit the Public Works Department or municipal website to obtain the necessary permit application and property markers.                                                     

                                                                       ENTRANCE PERMIT APPLICATION


Sign Permit Requirements

To install a sign within the municipality that will be located on a Township road you can visit the municipal website to obtain the permit application and accompanying By-Law 99-100 that references the regulations.

To install a sign with the municipality that will be located on a District Municipality of Muskoka road you will need to contact the Public Works Department at the District Municipality of Muskoka in Bracebridge or visit their website for further information.

                                                                                 SIGN PERMIT APPLICATION 


Replacement or new civic address blades and posts are available to purchase from the Public Works Department during regular office hours.

  • $20.00 each blade
  • $30.00 each post


Roadside bear bins are acceptable for the containment of household bagged garbage in solid coloured bags and sorted bagged recycling in clear bags. Both material should be visible to ensure collection. ideally, the roadside bear bin should be secured to a concrete pad.

If using a roadside bin to contain your bagged material, ensure the bin is in an approved position. it must be located no more than 5 meters from the traveled roadway and be visible to the collection driver. Please make sure that the area around it, the path to it, and lid are clear of snow allowing the driver easy access. Bins that are not cleared will not be collected from. 

Roadside bins should have some means of identification to indicated your municipal 911 address and a flag to indicate if waste is present for collection. For information on acceptable curbside containment options, please refer to the District of Muskoka's Waste Management By-law 98-59 or contact the District's Public Works Department at 705-645-6764 or 1-800-281-3483.


Public Works is responsible for streetlights in the municipality. To report an outage contact the Township Office, and a service request will be created and scheduled during the next regular maintenance. Streetlights maintenance is usually completed on a quarterly basis.


There are two public drinking water taps located in the Township available for self service use:

  • Municipal Office - 1 Bailey Street, Port Carling (Year Round)
  • Windsor Park - 3040 Muskoka Road 169 (Seasonal)


The municipality has a number of public parking lots which allow for up to 72 hours of parking. They are located in the following spots:

  • Jaspen Park, Bala
  • Port Carling Arena and Memorial Community Centre, Port Carling
  • Precambrian Shield, Bala
  • Windsor Park, Bala
  • Victoria Street, Bala
  • Hanna Park, Port Carling
  • Baycliffe Park, Milford Bay
  • Portage Landing, Bala

The municipality welcomes Recreational Vehicles to use the parking lots at the Milford Bay Community Centre and the Bala Sports Park.








The Public Works Forms have been saved in a PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the documents. If you do not have this program, click on the graphic below to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

get adobe reader

w3cP.O. Box 129, 1 Bailey St., Port Carling, Ontario, P0B 1J0  Phone:(705)765-3156  Fax:(705)765-6755
Municipal Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (excluding holidays)